Former Home of the Unversity
The long, porticoed façade just to the left of San Petronio's facade is the former home of the University, the Archiginnasio, its walls covered with the escutcheons and memorials of famous scholars. Bologna’s University, though the oldest in Europe, was not provided with a central building until 1563; before then classes were held in public buildings or cloisters.
This is the building Bologna got for its money instead of the expansion of San Petronio; the Counter-Reformation popes, always worried about heresy and political opposition, apparently wanted to keep all the intellectuals here in one place where they could keep a close eye on them. After the University expanded to its new quarters in 1803 this became the municipal library, the Biblioteca Comunale, which always has a selection of old books, manuscripts, prints and sketches on display.
Upstairs is the ornate old anatomical theatre, shattered by a bomb in the Second World War and painstakingly rebuilt in 1950. It's a sumptuous, wood-paneled chamber, a monument in the history of science not to be missed. Statues of great surgeons, ancient and modern, peer down from elegant niches to concentrate the attention of the real surgeon at the marble table. Statues of Hippocrates and Galen, the Greek and Roman fathers of medicine, dominate the scheme. Among the others you might notice Bologna's own Gaspare Tagliacozzi, holding a nose in his hand. In the 16th century, Tagliacozzi was one of the pioneers of plastic surgery. Rebuilding noses was a well-studied issue in a day when duelling with rapiers was popular, and Tagliacozzi found the first practical way to do it.
The monument in Piazza Galvani in front of the Archiginnasio commemorates Luigi Galvani, the 18th-century Bolognese discoverer of electrical impulses in the nerves who gave his life and name (‘galvanize’) to physics.
Hours Mon-Fri 10am-6pm, Sat 10am-7pm, Sun 10am-2pm
+39 051 276811