San Domenico (Modena)
A Touch of Rococo
There was a medieval church here, but it was in the way of the construction of the Palazzo Ducale, so it was demolished in 1707 and replaced with a new church of San Domenico designed by G.A. Torri, and opened in 1737. Huge semi-columns support the elliptical dome, the biggest in Modena; below, niches hold statues of the four Evangelists by Giuseppe Maria Mazza of Modena.
The best art, from the original church, is just to the left of the entrance: a fine terracotta group of Jesus in the House of Martha (1544) by Antonio Begarelli.
Piazza San Domenico
Hours Mon–Fri 10am–12noon and 5–7pm; Sat 10am-12noon, 5.30-7pm; Sun and hols 9am–12noon.
+39 059 222958