San Giorgio in Poggiale
Now the Library of History and Art
Founded back in the Lombard Dark Ages, this church was rebuilt on what was Via Poggiale in 1633 and used by the Servite friars and later by the Jesuits before it was bombed during the Second World War and deconsecrated. The city was considering demolishing it when it was purchased by the Cassa di Risparmio, and reopened to the public in 2007 as an Art and History Library.
It contains over 100,000 volumes dating back to the 1500s onwards, photo and newspaper archives; the reading room (formerly the nave of the church) has works of art by Claudio Parmiggiani (The Campo dei Fiori) and the Cathedral Cycle by Piero Pizzi Cannella.
Via Nazario Sauro 20/2
Hours Mon-fri 9am-3pm, Sat 9am-1pm
+39 051 19936352