San Domenico di Fiesole
Fra Angelico's First Convent
This convent, built between 1405 is where Giovanni da Fiesole first entered his monkish world as Fra Angelico. The 15th-century church of San Domenico contains his lovely Madonna with Angels and Saints, in the first chapel on the left, as well as a photograph of his Coronation of the Virgin, which Napoleon snapped up in 1809 and sent to the Louvre. Across the nave there’s a Crucifixion by the school of Botticelli, an unusual composition of verticals highlighted by the cypresses in the background.
In the chapterhouse (ring the bell at No.4) Beato Angelico left a fine fresco of the Crucifixion before moving down to Florence and San Marco.
Piazza S. Domenico 4
+39 055 59230