Palazzo Cavalli-Franchetti

Home of the Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere e Arti

Palazzo Cavalli Franchetti

Near the foot of the Accademia bridge and just opposite the church of San Vidal, the neo-Gothic Palazzo Cavalli- Franchetti is one of the few palaces on the Grand Canal to have its own gardens. Built in 1565, it was to have a curious destiny as the home of distant royalty, beginning with the Habsburg Archduke Frederick of Austria, although he didn't enjoy it for long, dying of jaundice at age 26; in 1847 it was purchased by Henri, Count of Chambord, pretender to the throne of France. Later it was purchased by Baron Raimondo Franchetti and then Sarah Luisa de Rothschilde.

Since 1999, it (along with the nearby Palazzo Loredan, in Campo Santo Stefano) has been home to the Istituto Veneto di Scienze, Lettere e Arti, with an important library, archives, busts and medals.

Practical Info

Hours Mon-Fri 9am-12.45pm and 1.30-5pm

Adm Free

vaporetto: Accademia

Website

+39 041 2407711

This is a preview of the content in our Venice Art & Culture app. Get the app to:
iOS App Store Google Play