Sant' Eufemia

Giudecca's oldest church

Inside Sant' Eufemia

The oldest church on the Giudecca, Sant'Eufemia was founded in the 9th century on a basilican plan similar to the church on Torcello, and rebuilt in the same form in the 11th century. It was originally dedicated to four saints: Euphemia, Dorothy, Tecla and Erasma, but was abbreviated over the years to just one.

Like all the churches facing Venice, it has a classically inspired façade, Doric this time, pasted on in the 1500s, while inside its Veneto-Byzantine capitals keep company with rococo glitz and plush fittings added 700 years later. The first chapel on the right contains the church’s one notable painting, the San Rocco and the Angel by Bartolomeo Vivarini (1480).

Practical Info

Hours daily 8am–12 and 3pm–5pm; Sun 3pm-7pm

Adm Free

Fondamenta Rio Sant'Eufemia

vaporetto: Giudecca Palaca

This is a preview of the content in our Venice Art & Culture app. Get the app to:
iOS App Store Google Play