Square with one of Venice's newer lions
Campo Manin is best known for a statue of the fiery patriot, lawyer Daniele Manin, who led the revolt against the Austrians in 1848 (and ended up as a schoolmaster, teaching Italian in Paris). His statue, guarded by a winged lion, looks towards his house by the little bridge on the left.
The Cassa di Risparmio bank (1964) is by Pier Luigi Nervi, Italy’s most acclaimed postwar architect – and the only one to get a chance to build on a conspicuous spot in Venice, although hardly to everyone's liking. On this same site in 1490, Aldus Manutius founded his famous Aldine Press.