During the Second World War, Mario Righini's father lived in this handsome 15th-century castle surrounded by Lambrusco vineyards, and ran the local scrap yard. Mussolini's government, desperately in need of metal for the war effort, charged him with accumulating cars, tractors, and motorcycles to scrap. Righini, fortunately, squirrelled away the most beautiful in the castle's stables, and kept on collecting after the war, accumulating some 350 vehicles, most restored to mint condition and in working order.
It's an astonishing collection, including a 1894 Velo Benz, pre-war Bugattis, Fiats, Lancias, and rarities such as Tazio Nuvolari's Alfa 8C 2300, a car he raced to victory at the 1933 Monza Grand Prix, a Lancia Stratos, Formula 1 cars and the first car Enzo Ferrari built after he left Alfa Romeo way back in 1937, the only surviving Auto Avio Costruzioni Type 815, the one Ferrari raced in the 1940 Mille Miglia.
Via Nino Bixio, 12, Panzano di Castelfranco Emilia
Hours By appointment only: contact Roberta Righini, +39 051 733309
Images by: ilbrugnolo