Housed in the Palazzo del Giglio, this theatre dates back to the 17th century, but was redone in 1822 and named Teatro Brunetti, and used to stage Teatro dei burattini, the Italian version of Punch and Judy puppet shows. In 1865 it was remodelled and given gas lighting, and used as a venue for opera, concerts and dramatic performances.
In 1898 the theatre was renamed after Italy's best known actress of the era, Eleonora Duse, and has been restored several times since, lastly in 2003. The drama season runs from October to early May, but the theatre is also used for the various musical and other events, including the Bologna Jazz Festival in November.
Via Cartolerie 42
+39 051 231836