In the 1820s, there were so many British residents living in Florence that they began to search for a church of their own. In 1849, they discreetly began to attend the Holy Trinity Church, which was strictly reserved for non-Italian members of the Church of England.
When the unification of Italy introduced the right to freedom of worship, the congregation paid for a new Holy Trinity church in Via Lamarmora, that was sold in 1965 to the Protestant Waldesian Church.
Which has left this church, St Mark's, with its pretty pre-Raphaelite décor in a 15th-century palazzo, as the only Anglican church in Florence. It opened its doors in 1881 and today not only holds services (sung High Mass every Sunday at 10.30am) but also hosts a calendar of cultural events, including opera performances. The church also has several apartments to let, long or short term.
Images by: Sailko, GNU Creative Commons License