In 1445 the wealthy merchant and banker and Medici ally Alamanno Salviati, who introduced jasmine to Tuscany among other things, purchased this property. The villa, perhaps designed by Giuliano da Sangallo was ransacked by the enemies of the Medici in 1529, but then repaired and made even grander, with the great walled courtyard in front. Several ornate grottoes
In 1638, scandal erupted when the wife of the current lord of the manor sent him the severed head of his mistress hidden in the weekly laundry basket.
Afterwards the villa went through French, Swedish and American owners and fell into disrepair. In 2000, the Italian Government purchased the villa for the European University Institute. Today it holds the 5km of EU archives; it also houses the University's Department of Law, the Department of History and the Academy of European Law.
Via Bolognese 156
Hours Open to the public on special occasions
+39 055 4685 620
Images by: NoraComm, Creative Commons License