One of the few Bolognese palazzi without any portici, the Palazzo Sanuti-Bevilacqua (1482) seems out of place in this city. Its heavily rusticated stonework and biforate windows make it the very picture of a Florentine palace from that era, with a close resemblance to the Palazzo Strozzi.
It's uncertain who the architect might have been, but the man who paid for it, Niccoló Sanuti, was well connected in his day—his wife was the mistress of Sante Bentivoglio, tyrant of the city. After the fall of the Bentivoglii this was still a top address. The Council of Trent, eternally debating the reforms of the Counterreformation Church, took refuge here from a plague in Trent in 1547-49.
The palace belongs to the Bevilacqua-degli Ariosti family today, but you might be able to have a peek at the elegant courtyard, with its fountain, loggias and terracotta decoration. This, like much else in the palace was redone in the 19th century by Alfonso Rubbiani.
Via Massimo D'Azeglio 31
Hours Open by request
+39 051 234 666
Images by: Parsifall, Wikimapia