Tucked away in the back streets behind San Petronio, this delightful little church—one of the smallest in Bologna— stands pink and pretty with a facade made of nothing but brick and terracotta. The oratorio was built by the Celestines in 1481 to house an icon of the Virgin Mary. Later it served as the home of a confraternity called the Spirito Santo, hence its two names.
Like so much else in Bologna, the facade was restored by Alfonso Rubbiani in the 1890s, which explains its pristine condition. The five tondi of saints and the other decoration may have been the work of Vincenzo Onofri.
Via Val d’Aposa 6
Images by: Giovanni Dall'Orto, Creative Commons License, Sailko, GNU Creative Commons License