Palazzo Malvezzi Campeggi
An Exquisite Renaissance Palace
One of the most graceful designs of Bologna's Renaissance, the Palazzo Malvezzi Campeggi (begun c. 1560) was the work of the undeservedly obscure architect Andrea Marchesi di Pietro, called 'Il Formagine' from his hometown near Modena. Marchesi was better known as a sculptor, and especially for his work in intarsia, inlaid wood, which might explain the delicate relief carvings on the portico, the palace's best feature. Behind the facade is a very pretty courtyard embellished with a statue of Hercules by Giuseppe Maria Mazza.
The Malvezzi, a powerful family that were bitter enemies of the Bentivogli and helped chase them out of town. Maybe they were just bad neighbours, for just one palazzo away, where Via Zamboni widens (slightly) into Piazza Giuseppe Verdi, stood the biggest palace ever built in Bologna, the fabulous, lost Palazzo Bentivoglio.
After years as the home of the University law school, the lawyers have recently moved out for more spacious quarters, and the Palazzo's fate is still undetermined.
Via Zamboni 22