Palazzo Malvezzi Campeggi
An Exquisite Renaissance Palace
One of the most graceful designs of Bologna's Renaissance, the Palazzo Malvezzi Campeggi (begun c. 1560) was the work of the undeservedly obscure architect Andrea Marchesi, called 'Il Formagine' from his hometown near Modena. Marchesi was better known as a sculptor, and especially for his work in intarsia, inlaid wood, which might explain the delicate relief carvings on the portico, the palace's best feature. Behind the facade is a very pretty courtyard embellished with a statue of Hercules by Giuseppe Maria Mazza.
After years as the home of the University law school, the lawyers have recently moved out for more spacious quarters, and the Palazzo's fate is still undetermined.
22 Via Zamboni