Francesco Salviati (1510–63) was the adopted name of Francesco de' Rossi, the son of a Florentine weaver. After apprenticeships with Baccio Bandinelli and Andrea del Sarto, he went to Rome and worked on the frescoes of the Palazzo Salviati, and took its name.
He returned to Florence and worked alongside his friend Vasari. Salviati was a similar sort of painter – although much more talented, using unusual perspectives and decoration, often bizarre imagery. In Florence his works are in the Palazzo Pitti and Palazzo Vecchio (Triumph of Camillus, an allegory glorifying the Medici) in the Sala dell'Udienza. In later life he returned to Rome and died there.
Images by: PD Art