San Basso

Today a concert hall

San Basso

Located near the Torre dell' Orologio in the Piazzetta dei Leoncini, this little church was first built in 1079, then burned down a couple of times and before it was rebuilt in 1661 with its four Corinithian columns, to a design by Baldassarre Longhena. If it looks a bit odd, it's because the top part of the facade was never completed.

The church was closed in 1806, and became a warehouse for storing bits of marble from St Mark's Basilica. In the 1890s, it was restored as a concert hall, the Ateneo San Basso, featuring performances of Vivaldi by the Virtuosi di Venezia Chamber Music orchestra. During the day, it serves as a foyer for St Mark's, where visitors check in their bags

Practical Info

Hours 9.30am-5.30pm. Concerts generally start at 8.30pm

Adm free during the day. Concerts €27; €21 under 18, or students age 27 and under

Piazzetta dei Leoncini

vaporetto San Zaccaria

Website

Facebook

+39 041 52 82 825

This is a preview of the content in our Venice Art & Culture app. Get the app to:
iOS App Store Google Play