Once a monastery, now a congress centre
An islet just west of the Lido, San Servolo was originally a Benedictine monastery, founded in the early 7th century. From 1725–1978 it was used as a psychiatric hospital, with a church built by Tommaso Temanza (who also built the curious little Santa Maria Maddalena. Now a congress centre/wedding venue with a café, restaurant and rooms sleeping 300, the grounds are adorned with contemporary sculpture. It's often used as an art venue during the Biennale.
Hours Ring ahead to book guided tours from 9.30am to 5pm; Fri 9.30am-3.30 pm
Adm €3, under 18s free
vaporetto no.20 from San Zaccaria.
+39 041 524 0119