Located near the Torre dell' Orologio in the Piazzetta dei Leoncini, this little church was first built in 1079, then burned down a couple of times and before it was rebuilt in 1661 with its four Corinithian columns, to a design by Baldassarre Longhena. If it looks a bit odd, it's because the top part of the facade was never completed.
The church was closed in 1806, and became a warehouse for storing bits of marble from St Mark's Basilica. In the 1890s, it was restored as a concert hall, the Ateneo San Basso, featuring performances of Vivaldi by the Virtuosi di Venezia Chamber Music orchestra. During the day, it serves as a foyer for St Mark's, where visitors check in their bags
Images by: Didier Descouens, Creative Commons License