First built in 1362, the former Casa de Caritat was remodelled over the centuries to do duty as a cloister for Franciscan nuns, a seminary, hospital and, after 1802, as a workhouse for the poor. Then in 1987 the Maremagnum architects, Piñon and Viaplana, dipped it in a postmodernist emulsion, and it emerged as the Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona, or CCCB, a kind of annex to the adjacent Museu d'Art Contemporani (MACBA).
The dilapidated north courtyard was replaced by a huge glass and steel block that tilts forward; the south façade was also replaced, to make way for the MACBA. The entrance is by way of the pretty 18th-century Pati de les Dones, with mosaic decoration; upstairs the CCCB hosts imaginative temporary exhibitions with unexpected urban and political themes, and supports local projects.
Image by rearl