One of the reasons why UNESCO designated Bologna a 'Creative City for Music' in 2006 is this conservatory, founded in 1804 as the Liceo Filarmonico di Bologna. One of its first pupils was Gioachino Rossini, composer of the Barber of Seville and William Tell, who studied here from 1806 to 1810 and spent much of his life in a nearby palazzo.
The school, named after the city's famous musical priest, Padre Martini, occupies the convent and cloisters of the adjacent church of San Giacomo Maggiore. The library houses original scores by Mozart, Monteverdi and Rossini, but the best of the portraits, historic instruments, etc. are in the nearby Museo Internazionale della Musica. Check the website: there are often concerts in the former church.
Piazza Rossini 2
Hours Library is open Mon–Sat 9–1; closed Aug
+39 051 221483
Images by: Biopresto, Public Domain