Certosa di Bologna
Bologna's Big Cemetery
Out in the western suburbs, the Certosa was a Carthusian monastery with a church dedicated to San Girolamo, decorated with scenes of the Passion by Bartolomeo Cesi and two fine Renaissance cloisters. In 1800, it was chosen to become the city's main cemetery, and has acres of grandiose mausolea from the 19th century, as well as sections for non-Catholics and a separate Jewish cemetery.
The choice of site for La Certosa was curiously atavistic. In 1869 Etruscan tombs were found on the grounds, dating back to the 4th century BC, making it one of the oldest cemeteries in any European city. The finds are now in the Museo Civico Archeologico.
Via della Certosa 18 (bus Nos. 19, 36, 38, 39)
Hours winter 8am-5pm, summer 7am-6pm
+39 051 6150811