A church dedicated to San Michele Berteldi stood here in the Middle Ages, and this one, rebuilt between 1604 and 1648 still officially bears the Archangel Michael's name as well as that of St Gaetano Thiene, founder of the Theatine Order. Designed by Gherardo Silvani, its façade is decorated with statues of the saint that would fit in perfectly in Rome; in Florence, the saints look like bad actors. Cardinal Carlo de' Medici who ponied up much of the cash emblazoned his name across the facade, just like the popes do in Rome.
Giovan Battista Foggini was behind most of the stuccoes in the interior, with its dark walls lightened by fake curtains with a pattern design carried over to the pulpit and altar. The second chapel on the left has a large Martyrdom of St Lawrence (1653) by Pietro da Cortona. See if you door on the left is open and pop into the Antinori Oratory, to see the 12th-century releifs from the original church.
Hours Mon-Sat 7am-12noon and 1-7.30pm; Sun 8am-12 noon and 3.30-7.30
Images by: Sailko, GNU Free Documentation License, Paul VanDerWerf