Names here are a tad confusing. In ancient times the city of Sámos was what is now Pythagório. The present capital and port, set in a sweeping amphitheatre of green hills, inherited the name a few decades ago; when the autonomous ‘Hegemony’ moved here from Chóra in 1834, it was called Vathy, ‘the deep’ which is still commonly used, while the upper, older town is now Áno Vathy.
If the immediate port area, once mostly used for exporting tobacco, seems permeated with unfulfilled expectations the upper higgledy-piggledy narrow lanes of Áno Vathí have kept their atmosphere, linked with white and pastel houses covered with weathered tile roofs.
Images by Adam Carr at English Wikipedia, Ancaeus, Mark Gregory, Samos Voice, Tomisti