'Brusà' means burned in Venetian dialect, and this is what happened to this Gothic palazzo on the Grand Canal in 1774, leaving only the original facade on the Grand Canal. Because of the Michiel family's illustrious history (three doges, among others), the city paid for its rebuilding. Jacopo Guarana, a follower of Tiepolo, added some frescoes to the interior.
Today the palazzo is owned by the Global Art Affairs Foundation, a Dutch non-profit organization that aims to heighten the awareness of the 'more philosophical themes in contemporary art and architecture'. For a nose around, look out for one of the special exhibitions the Foundation occasionally hosts.
vaporetto: Ca' d'Oro
Images by: Didier Descouens, Creative Commons License