San Giuseppe

St Joe's on the East Side

Raffaellino del Garbo's Madonna of the Lily

In 1519, when Raffaellino del Garbo's miracle-working Madonna of the Lily, originally in the Oratory of San Giuseppe, received enough donations, Baccio d'Agnolo was commissioined to design this church for the Confraternity of San Giuseppe. It later became the church of the Friars Minim of San Francesco di Paola, and after the 1780s became a parish church.

The church was badly damaged in the 1966 flood, but has a couple of paintings, a Nativity and St Francesco di Paola healing the Sick by Santi di Tito and a processional cross by Lorenzo Monaco .

Practical Info

Via S. Giuseppe

This is a preview of the content in our Florence Art & Culture app. Get the app to:
iOS App Store Google Play