Part of the hospital in the Scuola Grande di San Marco, the old pharmacy and its jars and old equipment was recently reopened, along with the historic museum of anatomical pathology created in 1874 to study the special illness and diseases that have troubled Venetians over the centuries.
The museum is named after Andrea Vesalio, the great 16th-century Flemish anatomist who worked at the University of Padua for many years and who directed a student of Titian in preparing the highly detailed engravings for his groundbreaking anatomical work, De humani corporis fabrica printed in Basel in (1543). Among the curiosities here is the 'other' Gobbo di Rialto: the tanned body of a 49-year old hunchbacked man who lived by the Rialto stood only 67cm tall.
Hours Mon, Wed & Fri 10.30am-5.30pm
Images by: gentedivenezia